A classic Mexican dish, “ranch eggs” are great for breakfast, lunch, dinner or any time you crave a savory, mouth-watering meal!
We’ve altered this recipe slightly from traditional huevos rancheros recipes to make it healthier but just as delicious as the original.
One serving is approximately 400 calories, 18 grams fat, 42 grams carbohydrates, 20 grams protein and 8 grams fiber.
Huevos Rancheros Verdes
Prep time: 30 mins Serves: 4
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced organic romaine lettuce
- 1 organic scallion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 15-ounce can organic pinto beans, washed
- 1/2 cup green salsa
- 8 6-inch organic corn tortillas
- 3/4 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 4 free range large eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit.
- Combine lettuce, scallion, cilantro, 1 teaspoon canola oil, lime juice, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a bowl; set aside. Combine beans and salsa in a separate bowl.
- Use a basting brush to lightly coat both sides of each tortilla with canola oil. Place tortillas on a large baking sheet in 4 sets of overlapping pairs. (Each pair should overlap by about 3 inches.) Spread about 1/3 cup of the bean mixture on top of each pair of tortillas and sprinkle with 3 tablespoons cheese each. Bake until the beans are hot and the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
- While the beans and tortillas are baking, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Crack each egg into a small bowl and slip them one at a time into the pan, taking care not to break the yolks. Season the eggs with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook undisturbed for 5 to 7 minutes for runny yolks. (For cooked yolks, cover the pan after 5 minutes and continue cooking until the yolks are cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes more.)
- To assemble, place an egg on top of each pair of tortillas and top with a generous 1/4 cup of the lettuce mixture.
- Dig in and enjoy!
Leave A Reply