So, you know the why’s and the how’s of liver cleansing now, but what can you expect mid-post cleanse?
During and after your liver cleanse, you may physically notice the healthy changes occurring within your body.
And, just like the best-selling What To Expect When You’re Expecting books for expectant mothers, we want you to be fully aware of the possible hurdles you may encounter and the joys you’ll experience with the gift of a healthier liver when you’ve completed the cleansing process.
First let’s look at what can happen in the midst of the process:
The body’s initial reaction to cleansing isn’t always pleasant. But, we wouldn’t want you to give in just shy of the goal, so here’s what you can expect as your body begins to fully detox.
If your body and liver have been overly taxed due to a heavy load of toxins, thus leaving you experiencing many of the symptoms we listed earlier, as those substances leave your body you may experience:
- bowel irregularities (constipation or diarrhea)
- skin blemishes
- brain fog
- food cravings
- pain or cramping
First, it is important to note that these symptoms should only last for a few days. And, increasing hydration and getting quality sleep can help ease their severity.
But, why do you experience these things in the first place?
Some of the components of your diet/lifestyle causing the need for a liver cleanse can be addictive (like sugar and alcohol), therefore you may experience common withdrawal symptoms when eliminating them.
But, generally speaking, though your body is always detoxing, when you fully remove these harmful substances, your liver is finally given a bit of breathing room. And with this newfound breathing room, your body essentially tries to get rid of those built-up toxins all in one fell swoop.
Therefore, as you begin the cleansing process, especially if your body’s toxic load was heavy, you may even notice your unhealthy symptoms have slightly worsened. Don’t fret, this is one of those “worse before better” things.
Some call this period (only a few days) a “healing crisis,” where the body is hard at work healing itself.
Ah, but after the dark comes the dawn!
After your liver cleanse (or even after only a few days of these potential adverse symptoms) you can expect to feel:
- Clearer skin as free radicals and heavy metals can be effectively removed by your untaxed liver.
- Less inflammation as your tissues and joints become free of excess toxins.
- Better mood (and better sleep) due to an improved physical state and a healthier mind as a revived liver removes toxins from the brain.
- Improved digestion (and boosts in immune health) due to the removal of harmful toxins from your gut.
- More energy as your body isn’t weighed down by the sluggish feelings associated with a greater toxic load from processed foods, heavy metals, excess sugar and salt, etc.